September 1 Update
- Your child’s bus number, pick-up time and drop-off time will be available in the near future on your Infinite Campus Parent Portal account.
- Each child has to ride their assigned bus to and from school. Bus notes for changing your child’s bus ride home for playdates will not be permitted.
- Due to the need for social distancing, our arrival and dismissal is staggered.
- Students being driven to school may be dropped-off after the buses unload and exit the driveway. We anticipate that drop-off will take place between 9:20-9:30 am. Please do not arrive at KES prior to 9:20 am in order to minimize congestion on Huntville and our neighboring roads preventing buses from safely and efficiently accessing the school driveway. At the designated drop off location on the driveway, assigned staff will be assisting students as they exit curbside.
- Parents/Caregivers dropping off students in the morning should have a visible sign in the front windshield of the car identifying their child and teacher by name. This will provide the staff members greeting each car to help direct students to the correct designated arrival/entry location. Kindergarten and 1st grade students will meet on the Lower Plaza for the beginning of the school year and they will be escorted to the their classrooms.
- Only students may exit from the car; parents/caretakes may not get out of the car for the safety of all.
- If you plan on picking-up your child as their regular daily dismissal plan, please send your child to school with a standing note.
- For dismissal changes from bus to pick-up on any given day, please send in a note with your child in the morning. Changes to dismissal plans may not be accepted after 12:00 pm.
- Notes should include the name of the person who will be picking up your child, and their relationship to the child. All persons picking-up student may be asked to show valid ID.
- The pick-up time is from 3:10-3:30 pm. This is prior to when we will load buses for dismissal. You will need to park your car in the lot across the street from school or on Huntville and neighboring roads; parking in the school driveway is not permitted. The location for pick-up is at the doorway leading in to the side of the school building, closest to Huntville Road.
As we implement these new safety procedures, we will assess and, if needed, make changes. We appreciate your patience and cooperation during this time.
General Health and Safety Reminders
Health Screener: The evening before school days, you will be emailed a Health Screener which you will need to complete and submit each morning prior to your child arriving to school. This screener involves you taking and recoring your child’s temperature.
Masks: Please be sure your child wears a mask to school each day. Please talk to your child about the importance of doing this and find opportunities for them to practice wearing one prior to the start of school. Also, please pack your child with an extra mask each day in a Ziploc bag. Your child may store his or her mask in the Ziploc during mask breaks. If your child needs an extra mask while in school, we will provide it to him/her.
Social Distancing: Desks and tables have been arranged to adhere to the 6 feet of separation guideline. We will also be teaching students how to properly social distance, especially during transitions and outside time.
Handwashing/Handsanitizing: Typical times for students to wash their hands include arrival, before lunch, after lunch, during transitions, and after movement breaks.
Lunch: Families may pre-order a school lunch for $2.75 for both in-person and distance learning days. For students in school, cold/bagged lunches will be delivered directly to your child’s classroom. You may choose to sign up for MyPaymentPlus to manage your child’s lunch account. Information about MyPaymentPlus can be found on our schools website under “Quick Links.” More information about how to pre-order and pick up lunch for your child on their remote days will emailed in the near future.
Movement: Students will have daily opportunities to go outside, weather permitting, during the school day. We will teach students how to engage in appropriate play outside in their fixed cohorts in a designated area with supervision. Due to no contact, this will be different from our typical “recess” period.
Fixed Cohorts: Special Area teachers will be traveling to the students’ classrooms to minimize traveling in hallways and around the building.
No Visitors: Only students and staff are permitted in the building at this time. We realize this is disappointing, but all guidance from various agencies recommends we implement this safety measure.
School and Family Conversations: We will be talking to your child about all of our safety measures and we ask that you do the same. Your comforting and supportive words will only help your child better understand and follow these guidelines.
The school supply lists may be found on our school website under “Quick Links.”
As a reminder, each student will receive an iPad and distribution is taking place at John Jay Middle School beginning on September 1. Designated days and times are listed on an August 27 letter sent via Connect Ed. from the Middle School Principal, Jeff Swiatowicz. Please check your email to see what day/time you will be picking up your device. If you know you will not be able to collect your child’s device on the dates and times listed, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements for distribution.